There are many drinks that use a good shot of espresso as their base, here are some of the most popular:
- Espresso - A rich, short (30ml) shot of coffee with a distinctive light brown crema when made correctly.
- Ristretto - A shorter half shot (15ml) of espresso resulting in an intensified flavor.
- Doppio - A 30ml shot of espresso that uses a double group on the coffee machine so that twice the coffee grinds compared to a normal espresso are used, giving a more intense flavor.
- Espresso Lungo - A diluted espresso with either 30ml or 60ml of hot water added.
- Americano - A shot of espresso added to a cup of hot water to make a longer and less intense drink.
- Latte - A shot of espresso is poured into the cup at the same time as heated and foamed milk.
- Cappuccino - A shot of espresso topped by milk and foam in equal (1/3rd) measures.
- Macchiato - A shot of espresso with a dash of milk added and served in an espresso cup.
- Espresso con Panna - A shot of espresso topped with whipped cream.
- Mocha - A shot of espresso mixed with a chocolate syrup base and topped off with heated milk and a drop of whipped cream.
The quality of the espresso is vital to the final results of the above, a poorly made espresso will likely result in a bitter tasting drink.